TARGET WEED: Common rush (Juncus effusus)
PROJECT: An incipient weed, Juncus effusus can be found in several areas at Ka’ala. If left unchecked, this rush could greatly alter native vegetation. We will spend the day digging up Juncus plants using large shovels and hand trowels. We will be working in some very wet and muddy areas, so please be sure to wear shoes and clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty!
HIKING TIME: 1/2 hour (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: Easy (flat terrain)
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, shoes that you don’t mind getting very muddy.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (15-20 minutes)
- Weed control (~2 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1.5 hours)
- Explore forest along boardwalk trail (~1/2 hour)
- Hike back to vehicles (~15 minutes)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to OANRP baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)