TARGET WEED: Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora
PROJECT: An incipient weed, Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora can be found in several areas throughout Palikea. If left unchecked, this African hybrid could greatly alter native vegetation. We will spend the day digging up the underground Crocosmia corms using hand trowels in various locations along the trail.
HIKING TIME: 2 1/2 hours (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: Moderate; several sections with elevation gain. Not for the acrophobic; there are some steep drop-offs in several sections of the trail. We may be weeding in some slightly steep areas as well.
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, shoes with good traction.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~1.25 hours)
- Weed control (~2 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1 hour)
- Explore nearby forest (~1/2 hour)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1.25 hours)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to OANRP baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)