TARGET WEEDS: False pamakani (Ageratina adenophora), Florida blackberry (Rubus argutus), Koster’s curse (Clidemia hirta), strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum) and many more!
PROJECT: We will be controlling invasive weeds in a very wet, mostly non-native section of the bog just inside the gate. We will use small hand tools (hand saws and pruners) and will apply a caution-labeled herbicide (Garlon4) to the cut stems of weeds with drip applicator bottles.
HIKING TIME: up to 30 minutes (round trip); optional hike to end of boardwalk, approximately one hour RT
DIFFICULTY: Easy; level terrain (optional boardwalk hike may include some ups and downs at the end of the trail).
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, long sleeve shirt and shoes with good traction (or rubber work boots). Please review the suggested packing list.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~15 minutes)
- Weed control (~2 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1 hour)
- Optional hike to end of boardwalk (~1/2 hour)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1/2 hour)
- Wash weeding gear (~15 minutes)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to Army natural resources baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)