TARGET WEEDS: Strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum), Koster’s curse (Clidemia hirta), Corky passionflower (Passiflora suberosa), Butterfly bush (Buddleia spp.)
PROJECT: We will use small hand tools (hand saws and pruners) and will apply a caution-labeled herbicide (Garlon4) to the cut stems of weeds with drip applicator bottles.
HIKING TIME: 2 to 2.5 hours (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: Moderate; several sections with elevation gain. Not for the acrophobic; there are some steep drop-offs in several sections of the trail. Project site may include weeding on somewhat steep terrain.
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, long sleeve shirt and shoes with good traction. Please review the suggested packing list.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~1.25 hours)
- Weed control (~2 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1 hour)
- Explore nearby forest (~1/2 hour)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1.25 hours)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to OANRP baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)