TARGET WEEDS: Coffee (Coffea arabica), strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum), Koster’s curse (Clidemia hirta), lilikoi (Passiflora edulis), and many more!
PROJECT: We will control invasive weeds in an area with a diverse array of native plants. We will use small hand tools (hand saws and pruners) and will apply a caution-labeled herbicide (Garlon4) to the cut stems of weeds with drip applicator bottles.
HIKING TIME: 2 hours (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: Advanced; significant elevation gain.
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, long sleeve shirt and shoes with good traction. Please review the suggested packing list.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~1 hour)
- Weed control (~1.5 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1.5 hours)
- Explore nearby forest (~1/2 hour)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1 hour)
- Wash weeding gear (~15 minutes)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to OANRP baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)