TARGET WEED: Strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum)
PROJECT: We will spend the day clearing a stand of strawberry guava within and around the fenced management unit at West Makaleha. We will use small hand tools (hand saws and pruners) and will apply a caution-labeled herbicide (Garlon4) to the cut stems of weeds with drip applicator bottles.
HIKING TIME: 2 to 2.5 hours (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: High; serious elevation gain. Not for the acrophobic! Includes 15 minutes of uphill hiking along a very narrow ridge with steep dropoffs.
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, long sleeve shirt and shoes with good traction. Please review the suggested packing list.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~50 minutes)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~1 hour)
- Weed control (~1.5 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~1.5 hours)
- Hike to “3 Points” (~15 minutes uphill, optional)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1 hour)
- Wash weeding gear (~15 minutes)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to OANRP baseyard (~50 minutes)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)