TARGET WEED: Firespike (Odontonema cuspidatum)
PROJECT: We will use small hand tools such as saws, pruners and loppers to control the firespike and other invasive weeds in the area. The worksite will also contain Florida blackberry (Rubus argutus), therefore, long sleeves and long pants are required in order to avoid getting scratched by the blackberry thorns.
HIKING TIME: 30 minutes (round trip)
DIFFICULTY: Moderate; a portion of the volunteer project will occur on a steep, uneven slope
WHAT TO BRING: Long pants, long sleeve shirt and shoes with good traction (you are welcome to borrow spiked tabis from us). Please review the suggested packing list.
All weeding tools and gloves will be provided.
- Drive to trailhead (~1 hour)
- Unload vehicles; safety briefing (~15 minutes)
- Hike to project site (~15 minutes)
- Weed control (~2 hours)
- Lunch (1/2 hour)
- More weed control (~2 hours)
- Hike back to vehicles (~1/2 hour)
- Wash weeding gear (~15 minutes)
- Load up trucks (~15 minutes)
- Return drive to Army natural resources baseyard (~1 hour)
- Clean up gear; pau (~15 minutes)